Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lydia's Lunch

Today at lunch there was a tiny little gnat that kept flying around Lydia. Not thinking much of it I just swatted at it to shoo it away from her. She set her sandwich down and watched it fly around the kitchen for a few moments. Then, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I think that's a baby bug that's lost her family." I said, "Oh?" She went on to explain that the bugs family was probably out in the woods with the rest of the baby bugs and that we needed to open the door to let this lost baby bug out so she could find her family. I said, "Ok, go ahead and open the door then get back here and finish eating your lunch!" She opened the door and waited....then she finally came back and sat down...still not eating. Exasperated because we've so often fought the meal time procrastination battle with her I snipped a quick, "finish your lunch!" She looked up at me with BIG pools of tears in her eyes and said, "Mommy, I hope I never get lost from my family. I would be soooo sad...and Boaz would cry and cry for his Sissy and you would have to have Grandma come over because she's the only one who would be able to cheer him up!" I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor at this point! I rushed over to her and pulled her into a BIG hug and told her that I too hoped she never got lost because that would make me very sad. Then, seeing the nice "teachable" moment for what it was, I put in this plug: "Well, honey, if you listen to Mommy and Daddy and you never get out of our sight when we tell you not too then you won't get lost, Ok?" She blinked up at me and said, "Good idea Mom!" I love this kid!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers